St. Mary church/Sultan Sulejman's (Fatih) Mosque
The Church of St. Mary is located within the historic center of Jajce at the end of the citadel. The church was built in the 12th century and rebuilt in the first half of the 15th century. In this church, in November of 1461, the last Bosnian king, Stjepan Tomasevic, was crowned by delegates of Pope Pius II and in the presence nobility. From this point on, Jajce became the capital city of the Kingdom of Bosnia.
In 1528, during the Ottoman rule, St. Mary’s Church was converted into a mosque and named after Sultan Suleyman II (the mosque is also known as Fethija’s Mosque). In 1892, the building was declared a cultural monument by the Austrian government.
St. Luke’s bell tower
Standing on the north side of St. Mary’s Church is St. Luke’s Bell Tower. The tower reflects late Gothic architecture with hints of the Renaissance era and is the only surviving medieval bell tower in the continental part of the Balkans.
The remains of the Franciscan Monastery, the Church of St. Mary, and the Tower of St. Luke are important representations of Jajce’s cultural and religious history.