The fortress of Jajce sits above the town at an altitude of 470m. It is located within the complex of the medieval city that dates back to the 13th century. The fortress, constructed over several centuries, encircles the architectural remains of a mid-15th century castle.
Located in the south-western side of the fortress is a portal with the royal coat of arms. This portal dates back to the time of Tvrtko II and King Stjepan Tomasevic, who moved the royal court to Jajce in 1421.
Defensive walls and bastions
The system of fortification and defensive walls were built in several phases. Two walls extend from the fortress, one to the north and one to the west of the medieval town. The Large, Small and Samic’s bastions can be found on the north facing walls, and the Travnik and Banja Luka gatehouses provide entrances to the city.
The clock tower
The clock tower was once the medieval guard tower. Opposite it is the Fethija’s Mosque, which is also known as the Sultan Suleyman’s Mosque. From this mosque resonate the calls to prayer for citizens of the town.
Bear tower gets its name from its shape, strength and size. It is located in the western wall of the medieval city and is the only round tower found in Jajce.